We are all well aware that I’m a sucker for a delicious bowl of soup. Especially ones that remind me of foods my mom cooked for me when I was a little girl.
I loved anything that had to do with broccoli and cheese when I was younger. Still do, apparently. And while I do eat the occasional bite of dairy, for the most part, I limit it in my diet because my digestion is happier when I do.
Thankfully I figured out along the way that cashew cream is a nice substitute in most any dairy-based recipe, including this Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (I use Japanese sweet potatoes which have a white flesh, but orange sweet potatoes or regular potatoes would both work, too)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Let sit for as long as possible, preferable for at least an hour or even overnight.
- Place a large pot on medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, adding a bit of water if needed to keep the onion from sticking. Add the potatoes, broth, and water, turn the heat up to medium high, and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the broccoli and sea salt to the pot and allow to cook for about 8-10 minutes more, or until the broccoli is fork tender. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the water from the cashews, and add the cashews and 3/4 cup cold water to a blender or food processor. Blend for about 1 minute, or until the cashew cream is smooth and has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it’s reached your desired consistency and texture. I like to leave it just a bit chunky with bits of broccoli and potato for texture. Alternatively, if you don’t have an immersion blender, you can remove the soup to a blender or food processor to blend, working in batches. If you choose this method, please be careful handling as the soup will be very hot.
- Add the cashew cream to the pot of soup and mix well. Adjust seasonings to your desired preference.
If you make this Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe or any of my other recipes, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can see how it turned out and share it on my page! Love, Elizabeth x